Room parents are responsible for class parties and provide support for teachers when needed for large classroom projects like integrated arts festivals, and field trips. They’re also a vital link in the emergency communications of Cossitt School.
One parent volunteer is designated as the liaison. The liaison is the contact person for the teacher and PTC, organizes planning sessions, and manages class party funds.
The liaison also divides the list of students in your class according to family count and assigns each room parent a list of families to contact in case of a school emergency, such as a snow closure. They are part of the emergency calling tree outlined below:
Room Parent Tips:
- Communicate with the classroom teacher regarding the foods & activities he/she prefers at class parties.
- Be thoughtful by notifying room parents of other classes at your grade level if you are planning something very special, to avoid possible hurt feelings.
- Reserve any special party space you’ll need through the school office well in advance of your party.
Try to contact all parents who fill out a party/field trip volunteer form no more than once for donations of time or supplies.
- Turn in all receipts for party expenditures to your liaison so you can be reimbursed. There is approximately $3/per child available for all parties, so budget appropriately. Do not ask parents for additional funds. If you need extra money contact PTC In-service Vice President.
- The end of the year 6th grade party is funded separately from the holiday parties.
Helpful Links for Party Planning:
General Craft & Game Links
- About crafts for kids
- Kaboose crafts for kids
- Dltk-kids general craft & activities for kids
- Funattic list of kids games
- Disney Family Entertainment crafts search page
- Allcrafts general crafts
- Kaboose Halloween crafts
- Dltk-kids Halloween crafts & activities
- All Halloween site linked to a greeting card site
Winter Party Links