COMMUNICATING WITH COSSITT FAMILIES
We have 3 mechanisms that we use to communicate with Cossitt families, each with a
- The Weekly Electronic Envelope – Distributed every Friday, this communication vehicle provides details about upcoming Cossitt events. Flyers are posted on the PTC website and an email (with link to website) listing all new flyers for the week is sent to all Cossitt families on the Friday Folder list. (Families may choose the Electronic Friday Folder option at registration.) Flyers remain on the website for approximately 1 month or until the event date has past. Over 80% of Cossitt families choose to receive their flyers electronically – saving trees and helping to eliminate the piles of paper at home.
- The Weekly Hard Copy Brown Envelope – Distributed every Friday, this tool is used to distribute and collect information that need to be returned to school (and provides hard copy of all flyers to those families that who have requested it) Examples of flyers that would be sent home hard copy to all families include: Fundraising order forms, permission slips, event registration forms.
- The Weekly Sunday Email – a vehicle to provide a quick reminder about upcoming dates and events. This email does not have the capability to link to flyers and all information submitted should be brief. This tool is used to help families get their week organized at a glance. Over 90% of Cossitt families receive this weekly email.
The following details the procedures for PTC committees to communicate with our school families via the electronic brown envelope, hard copy brown envelopes, and the weekly electronic newsletter.
POSTING A FLYER TO THE ELECTRONIC BROWN ENVELOPE AND HARD COPY FLYERS
- Write your flyer in Microsoft Word on PTC letterhead. To get the letterhead template, log on to the Cossitt PTC website http://www.cossittptc.org and click on PTC letterhead for electronic flyer.
- Print a test copy to make sure document looks the way you would like
- Send electronic file to the Vice President responsible for you committee for
approval by Monday at 5:00 pm for inclusion in that weeks Electronic or hard copy Friday Folder.
- Once approved, the Vice President will convert the flyer to a PDF, mark the email
“Final” and send on to Principal (Mary Tavegia) for approval. Flyers can ONLY be sent to Principal by VP and must be sent by 2:00 pm on Tuesday. DO NOT copy office secretary (Marilyn Ryan Webb) on emails.
- Once approved by Principal (MT) the flyer will be forwarded to the office secretary (Marilyn Ryan Webb). Office Secretary (MRW) should only receive flyers from Principal to avoid confusion on “final version.”
- Office secretary (MRW) will send to Webmaster (Karen Janik) to be included in the Friday electronic folder
- All flyers that do not have to be returned to school, will be distributed
- All flyers that need to be returned to school will be distributed hard copy to either family count or to individual students as warranted. The office secretary (MRW) will coordinate with the volunteer copy staff to provide the hard copy flyers. Examples of the type of flyer that would be distributed hard copy include SCRIP, Cossitt Spiritwear order forms, Field trip permission slips, etc. All copying for hard copy flyers must be done during the PTC copy time on Wed. mornings.
- Hard copies of all flyers will continue to be distributed to those who have
requested hard copies
FLYERS COMING FROM THE DISTRICT
- All Community flyers will be posted on the district website. Notification of the posting will be included in the Weekly email.
WEEKLY SUNDAY EMAIL
- Anyone who wants to send a reminder to Cossitt family about an upcoming PTC event should write a short paragraph with the information and forward to the PTC Vice-president (Courtney Menna at firstname.lastname@example.org) by noon on Sunday. This SHORT paragraph should be exactly what they want to be published. No editing will be done.
VOLUNTEERS AND EVENTS
Within 1 week of the end of an event, or at a significant milestone for your committee
(Ex. After Halloween Parties for Room Parents) an article should be submitted to your VP detailing the event and providing thank you’s by name to all who helped out. This is very important; please keep accurate records of your volunteers. These articles will then be submitted to Courtney Menna for inclusion in the Sunday email.
The Sunday email is also a great way to remind parents about upcoming events. If
you have something you want mentioned type up the EXACT COPY and email to Courtney Menna at email@example.com by Sunday at noon. She will copy and paste your note into the newsletter and send it out to the email distribution list.